Thursday, May 5, 2011

How To Feel??

Ok so this post may be a little controversial. Everyone has their own opinion. But here goes.... This week Osama Bin Laden was killed. First and fore most, thank you to the men and women who serve in our military and give up their everyday lives, so that I can live mine freely. That being said, from everything I've been reading I don't know if I can agree with the fact that he was just killed. A perfect quote it ‎"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."--Martin Luther King, Jr. And I agree completely with this statement. Yes, he was a murdered, yes he was a terrorist, but just as Sadam Hussein was tried before a jury, I think the same should have been done here. If in fact, there had been guns blazing and our Navy Seals lives were in jeopardy, by all means, kill him before he kills you. However, everyday, more and more information comes out. First was that Bin Laden was armed and shooting at our troops. Then yesterday, it broke that he was unarmed. Then today, I read even more, that only 1 man was actually armed, and that he was not 1 of the 3 that were killed. I also read that the troops were given a kill order. Not an order to arrest him. I am not in the army, I am not the president. I won't pretend to say that I would ever even know what decision to make if faced with the situation. But I just think that Martin Luther King Jr was right. Hate cannot be fixed with more hate. The pain Osama Bin Laden caused the American people, and people all over the world for that matter, is beyond terrible. Him being found was an amazing AMAZING thing. However, him being killed right off the bat.... I don't know if I can say how I feel about that. Aside from the fact that there is a reason criminals go before a judge, and cops don't decide who is sentenced and who is not, I truly think him being killed right then and there will fuel more rage in terrorists than if he were sentenced. And I still may be completely wrong. I do sincerely hope that this justice may bring victims of 9/11 some sort of peace. The loss off thousands of Americans was devastating. But in the midst of this, I also have empathy for all the women and children who were present at this scene. Children are children. Witnessing your family killed is an event that will forever change their lives. They too were victims. Not only of what they saw, but of the fact that they knew no better than what they were being taught. I want to be happy for what has happened. And in a way I am for the fact that hopefully the end is closer. But I'm also very torn...Just a thought....

Feeling Today: Torn

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment