Friday, December 17, 2010

Adventures in Mommyhood Part 4....

*Tupperware Fun*

   
     For all of my Utah readers who drove home in that idiotic traffic on I-15 last night I'm sure you were all just as frustrated as I was. Why in the world was traffic not moving just to finally reach my destination and realize there was never even a wreck?! I didn't get to daycare until 6:00 but luckily I stayed pretty patient on the drive. However, Kayden needed to be to Rich and Lisa by 6:20 so I hurried as quick as I could to get him dropped off. Once I finally got the rest of my team home and fed I was so tired! But what I'm sure every mom can relate to is the fact that of course, there was cleaning and laundry that had to be done. I straightened up and went to throw laundry in and when I came back out Brooklynn had cleaned out my entire tupperware cupboard. As tired as I was, and as much as I didn't want to clean up anymore, all I could do was laugh. How cute she looked in her little diaper playing in all the bowls and lids. It reminds me how simple babies truely are. She finds such joy and fun in playing with measuring cups and tupperware. All I could do was smile as I watched how much fun she was having. At what point does life start to get so complicated? When do we stop finding the joy in simple things? Is it something we learn? Is it us, the parents, who are in fact teaching our children that bigger is better? As I pondered these thoughts I put Brooklynn and Kyler in the bath and didn't even care that they were splashing water all over my bathroom. Watching the sheer joy in their eyes as they had "deep sea adventures" took me back to being 3 years old. Nothing was better than getting wrinkly in a bathtub whose water eventually went cold from playing so long. When I finally got them out, I stopped cleaning. I stopped straightening up. I just simply sat with my babies and enjoyed the simple joy of holding them close; of cuddling them in their bath towels and tickling their bellies. If my kids can find so much joy in such simple things, I too need to find that again. Of course there is a lot to do. Laundry will never stop, and there will always be some cleaning to be done. But I'm sick of getting so caught up in making sure it's all done that I'm missing the simple joys of just being with my kids. Last night I was reminded of such an important lesson in life: never get too busy that you stop finding time to stop and smell the roses.  

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment